Thursday, March 3, 2011

It was a typical night in our household. P was working on the computer, and I was mentally fighting over who was going to get my attention more, facebook or my stack of good reads. Oh and did I mention it was also two in the morning? P and I were burning the midnight oil big time. Neither of us could really sleep so we were camped out in the livingroom amusing ourselves with our own devices.
After awhile, surfing the internet and trying to plough through some books was not doing it for me so I decided to make home made doughnuts. It all depended on if I had enough cooking oil so I dragged a chair into the kitchen and climbed up to my top shelves where I store extra food that can't fit in our pantry and viola! I had one more bottle left so I got to work.
It said I needed to cut the dough out with a doughnut cutter which I did not have so I used a cup to cut out the doughnut itself and a small glass measuring cup for the whole in the middle. 

I was really pleased with the results, P said they resembled and tasted like Krispy Kremes, he also said I was the best wife ever for making doughnuts at two in the morning but that's a given. I'm not usually a big doughnut person. They're a little too sweet for me, that's why I only have them once in awhile so it's a nice treat. I also don't take a whole doughnut, I feel like that's way too much of a commitment. I usually end up cutting the doughnut into slices so that I can take bites here and there and that way it's not too overwhelming. I had to do the same with these but they were still delicious and well worth the effort.
Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:
Buttermilk Doughnuts


tablespoon dry active yeast

Directions:


Prep Time: 1 1/2 hrs
Total Time: 2 hrs

  1. 1 Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
  2. 2 Add buttermilk, shortening, sugar and 1 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.
  3. 3 Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
  4. 4 Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times.
  5. 5 Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
  6. 6 Place doughnuts on lightly floured surface, cover and let rise 45 minutes or until double in bulk.
  7. 7 Heat 2-3 inches of oil to 375°F.
  8. 8 (I use my Fry Daddy) Drop in 4 or 5 doughnuts at a time.
  9. 9 Cook about 2 minutes or until lightly golden in color, turning once.
  10. 10 Drain well on paper towels.
  11. 11 Combine 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar with 1/4 cup milk, stir until smooth.
  12. 12 Dip each doughnut in glaze while still warm; allow excess glaze to drip off.
  13. 13 Cool on wire rack or serve warm.




3 comments:

  1. i have always dreamed of making doughnuts but i always thought they were too hard! but since you gave them a try, i might just have to give them a try! they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) we have the day of doughnuts yesterday... :) I'm full and heavy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt: Can't wait for you and Landon to try it! :)

    theappletea: haha they definitely fill you up! Did you try this recipe or do you have another recipe you like?

    ReplyDelete