Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sterotypes


One of P's favorite things about my dad is his thick 
southern accent. My dad was born and raised in Kentucky and even though has 
moved to several states since then, he still maintains that lovely southern drawl. My friend Cortney 
once described it as "charming". 
That being said, whenever P imitates my dad he always follows it with a spitting tobacco in a spittoon noise.
Kind of like a "whooooPA DING!" sound, it's highly amusing.

The funny thing is my dad has never tasted tobacco in his life. 

Dad did however live near a tobacco plant field and helped harvest it during the summer times. To this day, his fondest
anti-smoking campaign is reminding us that one bite of one of 
those tobacco leaves and you wouldn't make it to the hospital. 

Dead

However,

P's dad has enjoyed a leisurely life of chewing tobacco for an odd number of years now. So in point of 
fact it's P's dad who should be accompanied with the tobacco spitting noise, but P's dad doesn't have a rad 
southern accent so where's the fun in that. Stereotype has overruled blatant fact. 


A little while ago my mom was sent an email apparently written by Jeff Foxworthy....I have my doubts. 
Something tells me that's not the work of comedian turned "Are you smarter than a fifth grader" host but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, the point of the email is it points out a lot of funny
and true things about living in Utah. 

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Utah.
If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Utah
If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed the wrong number, you live in Utah.
If 'vacation' means going anywhere south of Salt Lake City for the weekend, you live in Utah.
If you measure distance in hours, you live in Utah.
If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in Utah.
If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day, you live in Utah.
If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both unlocked, you live in Utah.
If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Utah.
If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you live in Utah.
If the speed limit on the highway is 75 mph -- you're going 80, and everyone is still passing you, you live in Utah.
If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you live in Utah.
If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you live in Utah.
If you find 10 degrees 'a little chilly' you live in Utah.
If you actually understand these jokes and forward them to all your friends, you live in Utah.

I did understand these jokes and I didn't pass them on to my friends......ok well maybe one or two.

Here are some other popular stereotypes:
Cops like doughnuts-I guess that's true, I haven't been around cops enough to say yes or no but
who doesn't like doughnuts? Mmmm doughnuts.
Woman are bad drivers-no comment
The toast will always land on the buttered side-I don't know if this is really
a stereotype but that happens to me all the time!
It is a common belief in America that all other countries don't exist-I guess my trip to the UK
four years ago was really to a magical land called Narnia. I knew that Turkish delight was
too good to be true.
The airports have all rigged their PA system's so you can't ever understand critical information that's being announced-Again not sure if this is a stereotype but it really bothers me.
People in Kentucky marry their siblings-I for one have seen my dad's family tree and
it definitely has more than one branch.
You are what you eat-Again not a stereotype but what does that even mean?

Also, I hope you enjoy my two pictures of crayons and puzzle pieces. 

2 comments:

  1. You're so creative Case. This was alot of fun to read, I rather enjoyed it. :) love ya. The pics are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhaha Thank you hon! It was fun to write as well. :)

    ReplyDelete